Friday, August 21, 2015

  August 11th - August 12th 

My experience with hospitals has always been that the night shift nurses were always the ones that I got to know the best.  They were actually the least busy - no meals to deal with, no patients to worry about getting showered/bathed, etc. But my experience at Mercy this time around was NOT a pleasant one with the night shift.  In fact, it was down right UN-pleasant.  
I asked for pain meds repeatedly through out the night, and they were never brought to me. I went all night with NO medication for pain at all! When I asked the morning nurse what the doctor's orders stated for my medication, I found out that it stated I was to get dilaudid every two hours!!  Also, since I had been fasting originally for the biopsy, I hadn't had anything to eat or drink since 9:00 a.m., and she mistakenly read the chart and told me I was nothing by mouth still. When I asked her to see why, she was supposed to check, but never came to tell me why.  By the morning of the 12th, when I've now been 36 hours without food or drink, she admitted it was her mistake and "OOPS! she forgot to come tell me!"


Later in the morning Laura got off work and came to sit with me. I was so thankful to see her.  She is so strong - and when I feel weak, she builds me up and gives me strength to keep going!  She was with me when the phone call came in with the results from my biopsy.  AdenoCarcenoma.  Wow.  I think I'm in shock.

No comments:

Post a Comment